Sunday 22 January 2017

Back On The Ice

Hello folks!

In preparation for my lessons that will be starting in a few weeks I figured I'd go and jump back on the ice today at the public skate and see how I held up.

In short, not bad. But not that great either. It's certainly obvious I've been off the ice for years but things came back to me pretty quickly. Although the difference in a figure skate and my rollerblades was made pretty evident today. Toe picks make all the difference in how you lift your feet. I only ended up falling once because of this but I will have to figure that out a bit more in the future.

Now it was about ten or so years ago that I actually did figure skating and then dropped out of it for no reason, so I'm glad I was able to do at least halfway decent with it with my first jump onto the ice. Admittedly I expected complete and utter failure, which wouldn't have bothered me in the slightest. How else do we learn but through failure and the willingness to try again?

On the plus side of it all. I'm working on my anxiety. I had a few people ask me why I'd go into Figure Skating if I have anxiety issues with people and crowds. The short answer? It helps. I find the more I nudge myself into situations where I'm forced to face my anxiety rather than let it rule me. It's not the easiest but in the words of a close friend, it's good for me.

Well, that's about it for todays skate!

Ciao for now!

Sam



No comments:

Post a Comment