Monday 23 January 2017

Jumping through hoops

Hello once again!

So in my short journey so far I have certainly hit a few hiccups. Going into figure skating as an adult or at least getting back into it, is rather difficult. Not only do I have to make a bunch of arrangements, phone calls and meet up woth people. But as an adult I have to get a police background check as well.

That being said, I understand the need for it. Im an adult around children. They need to be prudent, simple as that. Which I can respect. Its just more hoops than I was expecting to jump through to get my feet on the ice per-se. I didnt have to do any of this for gymnastics which is genuinely surprising to me as well since there is just as many kids there. Oh well! One foot in front of the other right?

My fiancee says itll be worth it in the end. I certainly agree.

On the plus side...talked to more unfamiliar people than I have in forever. Yay for coming out the shell :D

Anyways, just a short blurb today.

Ciao for now!

Sam

4 comments:

  1. Interesting difference between Canada and the US. When I came back to skating (after a 35+ year absence) nobody batted an eyelash when I went to my local rink and signed up for adult group lessons. I think they were more interested in whether or not my check would bounce! Now, if I were to apply to be a coach then there would be lots of background checks, insurance requirements, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess so eh? Mine was a fair amount of stuff to get done, but ultimately it was worth it. It hasn't been a negative experience in the slightest. Although it doesn't help I'm literally the only adult student now at my club. I'm a pioneer :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're getting a private lesson at the lower cost of a group lesson! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I opted for private lessons and got them alongside group lessons as well. I intended to only do privates but after registering I was informed that I was encouraged to skate the sessions as well. ^_^ A good and bad situation for my anxiety. :D

      Delete